Breast Milk Recipe: Breast Milk Lotion
Did you know that your breast milk also provides amazing topical benefits to your little one? If you're looking to do something unique with your extra supply, homemade breast milk lotion for your baby is a great place to start!
Ready to Get Crafty? Make Your Own Breast Milk Lotion!
By now, you know all about the amazing vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that make up your breast milk – and how all those components work together to provide the perfect food for your growing little one. Not only does your breast milk change as your baby grows (specifically to meet their evolving needs!), but it also provides excellent topical benefits when gently massaged into your baby’s skin. There is evidence that breast milk acts as much more of a healing agent than previously thought – studies show that breast milk can also be used to help with eye and ear infections (though be sure to speak with your pediatrician if your baby is showing symptoms of any infection!) and as a soothing agent for minor cuts, scrapes, rashes, or skin irritations that your little one may encounter. There is so much that your milk can do for your baby, even beyond feeding!
If you have extra breast milk on hand and want to start using some of your surplus, try making your baby his or her very own batch of breast milk lotion! A simple, gentle breast milk lotion helps calm baby eczema and acne, diaper rash, and even the occasionally dry skin that he or she may experience after a warm bath. Whatever you use it for most, breast milk lotion is the easiest way to apply your milk to your baby’s skin – and it’s also a great way to use some of that milk stored away in your fridge or freezer. Try this super simple recipe, using only a few additional ingredients that can be purchased ahead of time on Amazon or at most major health food stores:
Breast Milk Lotion
- Beeswax, 1 tablespoon
- Grapeseed oil, about 3 – 3 ½ ounces
- Vitamin E oil, a few drops
- Breast milk, about 3 – 3 ½ ounces
- Scented essential oil, a few drops (if desired!)
- Place your grapeseed oil and beeswax in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat grapeseed oil and beeswax together in your microwave on low, until the beeswax has just melted.
- Add your vitamin E oil.
- Slowly pour your breast milk into the oil and beeswax mixture, while quickly whisking everything together.
- Let stand to cool – your mixture will also continue to thicken as it cools.
- Note that you should store your breast milk lotion in a cool, dry place. Beeswax may discolor if left in a brightly lit area and is also combustible, so be sure to keep it away from high heat. Finally, don’t store your breast milk lotion in the freezer, as the texture and consistency may change upon defrosting (though it should be safe for fridge storage, if desired).
Be sure to test your baby’s breast milk lotion on a small patch of his or her skin first to ensure there is no adverse reaction or sensitivity. Once you know that your little one can safely tolerate your lotion, use freely! Tag us in your own DIY breast milk lotion on Instagram or share your own recipe with moms just like you on Facebook. We look forward to checking out all the cool, creative ways you’re using your supply and ensuring your little one gets all those great breast milk benefits!